Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday snapshot - Children's day special


Met this kid when I went to Athirampally Falls last week and she was rushing past me with her mother. I followed her and asked her if I could take her picture and she readily agreed. Later, I learnt that she had a fancy dress competition at school and hence she was in this attire of a tribal freedom fighter..she was in a tearing hurry and hence I could not ask her name or more details..

When I was looking back at the pictures, realized it was Children's Day and it took me back in time..I remembered participating in a Fancy Dress Contest myself, where I was a local Tamil soothsayer,  who is referred to as "Jakkama". It is believed that the astrologer who looks into the future using shells is actually possessed by the Goddess . If you go to Mahabalipuram, you will find many of them around and of course, all of them are fake.If I remember right, one of the Jakammas used to come home during every festival, do some standard prediction and then leave with some money

Coming back to the contest, I didnt really win anything, but I remember the nervousness and the applause and the appreciation that came my way. I also remembered how painstakingly my folks had dressed me up and made me recite the lines spoken by these " Jakkamas" . I guess I was always a good drama queen .. By the way have you ever participated in a fancy dress contest as a kid ?

No comments:

Post a Comment